As our nation celebrates its 242nd birthday today, Treasurer Curtis Loftis and the State Treasurer’s Office is remembering our country’s beginnings by highlighting South Carolinians who share the names of Founding Fathers and have unclaimed property.
Among state residents who have money waiting for them on this July 4th:
- George Washington – Allendale
- John Adams – Belton
- John Hancock – Columbia
- Benjamin Franklin – North Charleston
- James Madison – Greenville
- Alexander Hamilton – Columbia
- James Monroe – Ninety Six
- John Jay – Lexington
- Charles Pinckney – Charleston
- John Rutledge – Hilton Head
- Samuel Adams – Goose Creek
- John Marshall – Irmo
Currently the State Treasurer’s Office has more than $550 million in unclaimed property across the state. The State Treasurer’s Office serves as custodian of unclaimed funds and holds them until claimed by the rightful owners.
You can visit the www.treasurer.sc.gov to see if there is unclaimed property for you or your family.